Foreign Troops Begin Withdrawal From Kazakhstan

The foreign troops led by Russia have begun their departure from Kazakhstan. There, at the request of President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, they helped end the civil unrest that sparked a rise in fuel prices.

 

The Russian Defense Ministry said the troops were preparing materials and equipment for transport on Thursday, Russian news agencies said.

In total, more than 2000 soldiers of the military alliance CSTO are in Kazakhstan. According to the Kazakh president, they will leave the country in phases in ten days.

During the unrest last week, buildings were set on fire, and shops looted. President Tokayev spoke of “aggression by terrorists and bandits”. There was a lot of action. Dozens of people have been killed in the unrest, and around 10,000 have been arrested.

Leave a Reply